Pages

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Refiner's fire

He sat by the fire of seven-fold heat,
As He watched by the precious ore,
And closer He bent with a searching gaze
As He heated it more and more

He knew He had ore that could stand the test
And He wanted the finest gold
To mould as a crown for the King to wear,
Set with gems with a price untold.

So He laid our gold in the burning fire,
Tho we fain would have said Him, "Nay,"
And He watched as the dross that we had not seen
And it melted and passed away.

And the gold grew brighter and yet more bright,
But our eyes were so dim with tears,
We saw but the fire - not the Master's hand
And questioned with anxious fears

Yet our gold shone out with a richer glow,
As it mirrored a Form above,
That bent o'er the fire, tho' unseen by us,
With a look of ineffable love.

Can we think that it pleases His loving heart
To cause us a moment's pain?
Ah, no! but He saw through the present cross
The bliss of eternal gain.

So He waited there with watchful eye,
With a love that is strong and sure,
And His gold did not suffer a bit more heat
Than was needed to make it purest gold.

The poem above meant soo much to me after my mother's death.  It reminded me that while the struggle seems long, He does not ask us to bear one bit more than we must to make the finest gold.

A song that Steve Green sings has words that remind me of my desire.

"The Refiner's fire has now become my soul desire, purged and cleansed and purified, that the Lord be glorified."

Isn't that the final end we desire?  That the Lord would be glorified.   Isn't that what man was created for - to bring Him glory? 

I think at times I have to keep reminding myself of a couple things throught the storms that rage in my life.
  • God is good. 
  • He doesn't allow the fire to burn hotter or longer than necessary
  • and it's all for His glory.
Remembering those things is difficult at times, but when I'm going through a difficult time of waiting or watching someone I love get sick, or losing someone to death, I keep these truths in my mind as a constant reminder that God is in control. 

When I feel like I'm drowning, and suffocating under all the pressure, I remind myself that He is right here with me and He is in control.

For His glory,
Steph

No comments:

Post a Comment