Pages

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Crockpot mashed potatoes

I've been trying to find a way to make mashed potatoes in the crockpot.  I'd like to have them for Sunday dinner, but it would be so late before we eat, if I made them after we got home.  So I checked with Pinterest, but found some that had to be boiled  before they go in the crockpot.  Not really what I was looking for.

So I tried to make my own version.  I cut up the potatoes in 1/2 inch cubes and then filled the crockpot with water.  Then I put it in the microwave for 10 minutes, just to make sure they would be done when we got home.  Salt and pepper, butter and some sour cream we had on hand.  I used 1 stick of margarine, not actually butter.  The crockpot was on high for four hours. 

When we got home four hours later, I used a hand-held mixer to mix it up but it was very soupy.  It was edible and we enjoyed mashed potatoes, but it wasn't our normal way of eating them.  I did it again, but still it was the same. 

So this last week, I cut the potatoes in quarters and did everything else the same.  I dumped the water when we got home.  And, it was yummy and the way we normally like our potatoes. 

A side note:  make sure that your roaster knob is actually pointing to 350 degrees and not the exact opposite of that, or you will come home to a pink turkey, as we did. 

So I made meatballs and gravy and we nibbled on the turkey for supper right before we headed to church for our "snack" service (where we eat while our pastor answers questions from the congregation).  I took turkey-salad sandwiches and they disappeared quickly. 

Enjoy your New Year's Day.
Steph

No comments:

Post a Comment