Pages

Friday, January 11, 2013

Titus 2 Tea - Personal - Rest

This month is called Personal.  We're working on things for us.  Devotions was the first thing, because I feel it's the most important.  The other things are not necessarily in order of importance, but they are important - rest, food, exercise, and hobbies. 

Today is on rest, something I feel I didn't get enough of last night.  But really it started over Christmas break when the kids stayed up later and so I did too, and Carpenter didn't have to go to work (outside of his self-employed business that is).  So eventually it was 11:00 before I was heading to bed. 

This week, I am paying for it.  I've been going to bed even before bedtime almost every day this week,  but I still haven't caught up.  The nice thing - this thing I actually hate - is that Carpenter has been diligent about going to bed at the same time even on the weekends, maybe an hour later, but that's it.

When Carpenter and I do this, and get up at the same time (or an hour later, if he doesn't have to work), it helps us to be almost awake before our alarms go off.  Our bodies get used to the sync of waking and sleeping and it's better for us.  It would be better to stay the same all the time and not adjust it even an hour.

Sleep helps us handle the situations we face daily and helps us focus on the tasks that we have for the day.  Sleep is important, but one of the first things to go. 

This all is true, but if we obsess about how much sleep we are getting - especially when our babies are waking us up and we have no way to get more sleep than we are already getting - we must remember that He gives enough.  We must do our part, but when circumstances cause us to lose sleep, He is faithful. 

Ps 127:2 It is in vain that you rise up early and go late to rest, eating the bread of anxious toil; for he gives to his beloved sleep.
God gives us the blessing of restful sleep, but when circumstances don't allow for it, He allows what we do get to be enough.  We needn't be anxious or stressed out because we didn't get our 8 hours.

Rest.  "Be still and know that I am God. Not you, Steph, Me.  I am the one who will care for the needs of your family and the things you want to worry about.  I am God.  I am the One who can, you cannot.  You can do nothing about the things you worry about, and you definitely can't do anything about things when it's night.  Leave it with me and your life will be so much sweeter." 

He is our Father and as our Father He wants to care for us, and yet at times we are like the toddler who shouts, "No!  Me do it!"  and He pulls His hands away in sorrow and lets us toss and turn in the night while He waits for us to come to the end of ourselves and then....then He can do what He had wanted to do all along - bring us peace.

Making the most of today
Steph

Day 11 brings us to my precious earthly father's birthday, and my brother (Anne's son) celebrates with him. I count my father as being the one who instilled in me such a desire for the Word.  His letters to me while I was at school were full of the truths of God's Word.  Such precious treasures.

Today I finished reading about the reconciliation between Jacob and Esau in chp 33 of Genesis and I'm still working through Esther 7.  I'm going to keep working on reading through the weekend, but will catch you up with it on Monday.  Have a wonderful weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment