Pages

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Granola bars

Next week I'll post about the beans I'm cooking up for the freezer today

Today, we'll look at granola bars.
I'm afraid mine didn't turn out, but that's because as always, I tried to improvise and use some ingredients that were different than what was in the recipe.

For instance, I thought using old-fashioned oats (rolled oats) would be better than quick oats.  We generally don't keep quick oats around here, so I thought I'd try it.  One reason I'd rather not use them is because it seems that they are processed more, but maybe not.  I don't know that for a fact.
 I started with two cups of oatmeal - next time I'll be using the quick oats or figure out a way to make what I have work.  I assume there could be a way, just don't know it yet.  Also the recipe calls for 1 cup rice krispies.  I didn't have that either.
 In a pan I put 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup margarine, and 1/2 cup syrup (instead of honey).  Bring to a boil for two minutes.
 Didn't. quite. fill. the. pan.   But they were sticky enough that they kept their form.
Sprinkle with choclate chips - mini are the preferred ones, but guess what?  Didn't have any. :)  We make do around here a lot.  These were gone before Carpenter got home from work.   They were eaten with sticky fingers.

Making the most of today,
Steph

Day 29 - brings us through Exodus 37 and Psalm 4.  I'm also reading Proverbs out loud to the kids each month - here's hoping I can be consistent with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment