Pages

Thursday, June 6, 2013

Thursday's Thoughts - the Tongue

"The tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity." - James 3:6a
 
 
 
James talks a lot about the tongue in chapter 3, and since I've been memorizing James, I've been thinking a lot about the tongue - specifically mine.
 
 
Do my words build up or tear down?  Are they edifying?  Are they truth?  When I'm hurt and feel offended, do I lash out and say things I shouldn't? 
 
 
As I watch my family grow, I've noticed that some of my children don't say enough.  When an adult, or anyone really (not strangers),  talks to you, you need to answer with more than a mumble and/or a nod.  But you probably don't tend to blab the family secrets or say things you shouldn't say - unless the person is a sibling, then all bets are off.
 
 
I've also noticed that some of my children tend to say more than necessary.  Oh, please, don't share all that information with your neighbor or your best friend.  It ends up becoming like the game Telephone, and they will have some majorly wrong ideas about what our family thinks or says.  But when an adult, or anyone really, talks with you, you will generally smile and be cheerful and answer well.
 
Sometimes words are necessary, even though they are painful to hear.  Like when Carpenter spoke to me about the condition of the house.  At first it was hard to hear, but after I thought on his words I realized that he was speaking to me for my benefit and not for my hurt.  That he was telling me that I should delegate more not necessarily that I should do more. 
 
"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in Your sight, O Lord my Rock and my Redeemer. "  Psalm 19 verse 14 I believe.
 
Keep pressing on,
Steph
 


No comments:

Post a Comment