Pages

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Living out of the freezer

This week and maybe month we need to live out of the freezer.  So I took inventory - at least of the upstairs freezer - so that I would know what we have.  I don't want to run and buy stuff to make a meal when I could just make something we already have.

Because I was emptying the freezer, I thought it would be a great time to clean it.   And while I was cleaning it, I thought some of the things could use some bleach and my sink also needed bleaching.  It yellows over time and then needs a soak in some bleach water.   So I was able to cover quite a few bases with one project.

As you can see we needed some organizing and cleaning up.  Sometimes it bugs me that my kids don't put things back how I want them.  And then I remember that someday, things will stay where I put them and I will be wishing they wouldn't.
I started using these bins in my freezer awhile back.  If you've been following my blog, you were "there" the day I put them in.  I love them.  For one thing, if I want to know what I have I simply pull out the bins.  One bin was already soaking so there are only two in this pic. 

The other thing is that I hate it when you put a bag of food in the freezer and then before it freezes it manages to get wedged around the wires on the top shelf.  Ugh!  It takes a miracle to get it off.  Another reason I love these bins.

But they weren't looking so clean, so

into the bleach water they go, along with the ice trays.   The other side was full of soapy water for cleaning the fridge.

Now for the plan

This is what I found in my freezer. 
  • 7 packages of ham - one of which is a ham bone.
  • Bean and Ham soup
  • Peanut gravy with pork and squash - for over rice
  • Pork - spiced pieces
  • Venison - 3 packages
  • Hamburger - 1 package
  • 1 container of duck - Sharpie's ducks got run over and therefore we have duck meat in our freezer.
  • 1 bag of peas
  • 1 pkg of brussel sprouts
  • 5 bags of beans
  • 1 pkg pizza sauce
  • 1 pork roast
I will need to get a couple of extra things because we have our friend coming over this weekend.

So the rest of the weeks menu for supper meals will be
  • Wednesday - Peanut gravy with pork and squash over rice
  • Thursday - Duck gravy with mashed potatoes and brussel sprouts
  • Friday - Pizza
  • Saturday - lunch - hotdogs and baked beans
  • Saturday - supper - bean and ham soup with corn bread
  • Sunday - lunch - pulled pork sandwiches
  • Sunday - supper - grill spiced pork and roasted potatoes with peas
  • Monday - Venison stew
  • Tuesday - Ham curry over rice

Shopping list
  • Hotdogs
  • Corn meal
  • Hotdog buns
  • Potatoes
  • Cheese
  • Green pepper
  • Mushrooms
  • Olives
  • 1 can of pizza sauce
  • Milk
So that's my shopping list for the week.

Making the most of today
Steph

No comments:

Post a Comment