Pages

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Cooking Tuesday - Making an Indonesian meal

We love eating Asian here at our house, but it's usually just our own version.  We use what we have and it's definitely not authentic.  For one thing, the vegetables here are not the same as the ones they have over there.  Beans, carrots, onions, and cabbage are some of the vegetables they have, but they aren't the same either.  They are different varieties.

So we do what we can with what we have.  One thing that we enjoy is Santan.  I'm not sure what the difference between Santan and Opor is but to me they are similar.

You start with pork or chicken.  We're using pork today.
 I cooked it through the morning in the crockpot and liked how it turned out.  Add salt and pepper.  Frying it up is yummy too, gives a carmelized flavor to the meal.  Your crockpot should be on high, and if you fry it up you can skip the morning use of the crockpot.


 Then around noon add chunks of potatoes - smaller would be better.  I had help and don't really like to correct them if I don't have to, also I don't think I was in the room when these went into the pot.

Then I put it some canned squash.  At the very end, so there was just enough time to heat it through.   Canned squash and even canned potatoes would be perfect for this. 

At the very end, probably right with the squash add one can of evaporated milk and some tumeric.

Obviously for my Indonesian friends, you know that this isn't remotely the way to do Opor, but in this farm country, it's as close as I can get with regular items.  My family enjoys it, so I guess that's the point.

Making the most of today.
Steph

2 comments:

  1. this looks wonderful.....when's dinner? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, now that would be amazing. I'd love to share some dinner with you and your fam!

      Delete