Pages

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Thursday's Thoughts - striving or growing

Romans 12:2 - And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.
Ever since I was little I have desired to have a close walk with God and I've wanted Him to change my life.  When I do something wrong, like yell at my kids or gossip about someone or whatever, I usually resolve to change and do better next time. 
Something that I've been finding, though, as I memorize Scripture is that as I spend time pouring God's Word into my heart, I start to get it - to understand what God wants me to know.  It doesn't take striving but continuing to study His Word.  I find that alot easier than pulling myself up by the "bootstraps". 

I have nothing in me that gives me the strength and ability to do the things that God wants me to do, but as I fill my heart and mind with His truths, I find I already have the strength and there is no "striving" about it. 

What a joy to serve Him!

When I was younger in the dorm, I had one dorm mom who had five kids of her own at the time - and one was deaf.  Every spare minute I saw her sitting in the living room with her Bible.  I will never forget her wonderful example. 

The only way we can know what God wants us to know is through His Word and therein lies everything we need to know about life and godliness (II Peter 1:3)

Making the most of today
Steph

No comments:

Post a Comment