Pages

Thursday, April 4, 2013

Thursday's Thoughts - Marilla or Mrs Brady

By the title I'm pretty sure you can tell what's been on in our house lately.  For awhile, we were watching a lot of the Brady Bunch.  The kids loved it, and well, so did their dad and I.  I pulled out our Anne of Green Gables movies that my in-laws brought last time.

Everyone groaned, including Carpenter, but I knew if they would just watch a bit that they would get sucked in and enjoy it.   So we put the first tape in.  I thought the comments from the older boys were hilarious.  One in particular has hardly left my mind.  "She talks all the time - that's why we don't like watching this movie." 

Oho!  So you have competition.  After that comment, I noticed that between the three of them someone has to be talking at all times.  Sometimes two and sometimes all three.  A very revealing statement.  Just makes me smile and say "Go outside and play." 

But back to the title.  I love Mrs. Brady - she's so nice - always willing to listen to her kids and their struggles with life.  Never exploding because they did something really annoying this time.  Just calm, cool and collected.  Always showing love and tenderness.  I want to be like her.

As I watched Anne of Green Gables, I saw someone who looked altogether too familiar to me - and it wasn't Anne with an e.   No.  It was Marilla.  She's more of a "Nope.-I don't want to hear it.-Go to your room right now until you confess.-sort of gal.  There's no nonsense with her.  No understanding of the silly antics that bring the occasional mess.  Rarely giving one an idea that she might actually love them. (We're not past the first video yet).  I don't want to be like her.

But I am.  I generally won't fly off the handle if you make a mess, but I will tell you you have to clean it up.  Even if you're one or two years old.  And I will make you do it alone if you're capable, but if you're not I will help you. 

Then another time, I will get upset at unexpected times and make a huge deal over something that is really tiny.  And my kids will stand there looking at me like, "What's the matter with her?"  But they won't say it.  Nope, cuz they know Mom's lost it.  For sure and certain.

And it makes me sad, that I am not there yet.  I'm not the perfect Mrs. Brady, but rather I'm Marilla.  And I'm not satisfied with that.  You see, sometimes I look at them as two totally different people.  "Oh," I say, "Well Marilla just doesn't have the same personality as Mrs. Brady, so there's no hope for her.  She's just always gonna be that way."  O.k now I'm super discouraged. 

But when I open the word and look inside, do you know what I see?  In Romans 8, where I've been working on memorizing, God tells us the goal of the believer.
29 For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. 30 And those whom he predestined he also called, and those whom he called he also justified, and those whom he justified he also glorified.
Crossway Bibles (2011-02-09). The Holy Bible, English Standard Version (with Cross-References) (p. 1138). Good News Publishers/Crossway Books. Kindle Edition.  

You see, I think when God looks at it, He sees that we do indeed have different personalities, but he also sees our growth potential.  Maybe Marilla has the potential to become like Mrs Brady, if she yeilds to the Spirit.  That gives me so much hope.  Now, I know that there is no reason to be discouraged.  

I see that as I keep studying the Word and spending time with Him, He will grow me into the image of - not Mrs. Brady - but His own Son.  A much more desirable goal anyway.    What a wonderful God we serve!  Christ is the goal of our hearts and lives and the last word of those verses - when we get to that part - we'll be finally finished and conformed and perfected to what He wants us to be.  Praise Him!!!  

And now, my little munchkins are waking up before I'm quite finished.  I must go and see to their needs with a good attitude even though they are disturbing my quiet time. :)  

Making the most of today,
Steph

4 comments:

  1. Thank you, ibu Engelman, you blessed me with this post :)
    I struggle daily to not be a Mommazilla with fangs and spikes and a tail. And I've just got one kid so far :S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, Natalia, I am so blessed that you are reading what I have to share. I am so far from where I want to be. Our children draw out our selfishness, and it's not too fun.

      Delete
  2. Good thoughts, Steph--thanks. Yes, I definitely can relate more to Marilla than Mrs. Brady. So wonderful that God continues to work on us and in our children in spite of us....His grace!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's so amazing isn't He? What a great God we serve!

      Delete