Pages

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Cooking Tuesday - Meals for a family

Recently a friend was caring for her mother night and day.  I was burdened for her and asked if I could share a meal with them.  The following is a simple meal that can be a blessing to a family in need.
 
One thing that someone mentioned to me recently is that when taking a meal to a family it's more of a blessing if you can bring it in disposable dishes.  Take it in something you don't need returned.  It will relieve them of the burden of remembering to get the dishes back to you.
 
The Shopping List
  • 2 lbs ground beef
  • 1 lb pasta - pick something fun
  • 1 12 oz container of sour cream
  • 1 can of cream of mushroom soup - I use a double one.  So if you're using regular size cans get two
  • 1 pkg of frozen corn
  • 1 box of vanilla pudding
  • 2 sm cans or 1 big one of fruit cocktail
  • 1 container (8 oz) of whipped topping
  • 1/2 bag of mini marshmallows
  • flour
  • yeast
  • sugar
  • eggs
  • salt
  • brownie mix
Main Dish recipe
  • 2 pounds of ground beef cooked and drained
  • 1 box of pasta - cooked and drained
  • 1 package of frozen corn or canned corn that is drained
Put these ingredients into a bowl.
  • 1 12 oz container of sour cream
  • 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup
Mix together in a separate bowl and add to the pasta, in the cookware you choose.  Make sure it's greased. If I were sending this meal to someone I would choose something disposable.


Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes to an hour to reheat it through. It's probably best to cover it with foil as mine dried out when I baked this.


Main Dish is done.  Now for a little pudding salad - super easy, but I don't have any pics.

  • Take your fruit cocktail and do not drain it!  Pour it all into a bowl
  • Add the pudding to the fruit cocktail and stir until all the powder is dissolved.  You do not add milk to the pudding.  Use the powder only.
  • Now mix in the cool whip.
  • Finally add the marshmallows. 
Yummy!  This I put in a tall cool whip container, so that there was nothing for her to return.

I added a loaf of bread. White Bread Recipe  I put my bread in a ziploc bag. 

And finally make the brownies according to the recipe.  The brownies, I made in a tin foil pan that is disposable.

It's always a blessing to share with others, and I make double for the evening meal for my family.  They love to share with others and then enjoy a similar meal at home.

Making the most of today.
Steph

1 comment: