Pages

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Moments of quiet meditation

Is your world loud and boisterous and busy?  Do you make it this way? Or is it this way because you have a large family?  Do you always have music or the TV going?  Do you have any time to spend thinking about God and His Word?

For a week or so now, I have been thinking about the fact that it seems I have no opportunity to spend time quietly before the Lord - meditating on the truths of His Word.  I have been begging Him to show me a time when I can sit quietly and think.

Today, I found it.  It will not work on Tuesdays and Thursdays, but on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, it will.  The babies are down for a nap, including my four-year old and the older boys are doing P.E.  running to the 1/2 mile and back, once or twice.

I turn down my music and pull up my on-line Bible.  I want to find passages that talk about the importance of God's Word to us.  I know a great place to start is Psalms, so I'll begin there.

Ps 119:9  How can a young man keep his way pure? By keeping it according to Your word.
I am not a young man, just a middle-aged woman, but I know that I keep my way pure in the same way.  Without time in His Word, time that is quiet, without interruption every few minutes, I can't know His Word.  If I don't know it, then I can't live by it.

Ps 119:11 Your word I have treasured in my heart, That I may not sin against You.
I want to be treasuring God's Word above all else.  I want to crave it like the m&m's sitting in my cupboard.  I am always thinking about the fact that they are there and wondering when I can get a chance to sneak some.

Ps 119:16 I shall delight in Your statutes; I shall not forget Your word.
Here again the psalmist spends time in the Word, so that he won't forget.

Ps 119:17 Deal bountifully with Your servant, That I may live and keep Your word.
When we are needy and must work often, we find ourselves busy, sometimes just to live.  We must remember that time with Him, never leaves us lacking.

Ps 119:25 ¶ Daleth. My soul cleaves to the dust; Revive me according to Your word.
A weary soul - the psalmist knows that meditating on God's Word is the place to go for refreshment.

Ps 119:28 ¶ My soul weeps because of grief; Strengthen me according to Your word.
When we're grieving, we need to constantly remind ourselves of the truths of His word as lies loom in front of us.  I'm recognizing this is true for me at this season of my life.  I am continually saying to myself, "No, that's not true.  He is loving, He is good, and faithful.  He does all things well."

Ps 119:38 Establish Your word to Your servant, As that which produces reverence for You.
Oh, I long to revere the Lord as I should.  Reading the letter He wrote for us will definitely cause me to be in awe of Him.  How great is the Lord, and how marvelous are His acts of loving-kindness!

Ps 119:41 May Your lovingkindnesses also come to me, O LORD, Your salvation according to Your word;
Your word brings salvation to me in so many ways, not just eternal life.  But it gives me a reason to hope when things are bleak, a reason to quietly answer when anger rears its ugly head, and a reason to rest, when chaos is all around us.

Ps 119:42 So I will have an answer for him who reproaches me, For I trust in Your word.
We will look unusual to the world around us, they will laugh and mock us.  But His word brings comfort and strength to us.

Ps 119:50 ¶ This is my comfort in my affliction, That Your word has revived me.
When we feel like our world is caving in, He is stronger and His Word is that refuge that we should run toward.

May the Lord bless you with a few quiet moments today.  Look for them, for He, surely, will provide them.  He loves spending time with His children.

Making the most of this moment,
Steph

No comments:

Post a Comment