Pages

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Bible Study - Is sin hindering?

I'm still going through A Woman After God's Own Heart.  I'd like to share some things that I'm working on that are somehow related to what I read in this chapter.

Is sin hindering your ministry?  Are we cold and calloused when we should be warm and caring?  Since she's already discussed this aspect with regard to our children, now we are looking at how we can be a blessing to others outside our home.

But sin hinders and when it's held in our hearts it keeps us from responding as we should to others.  When I snap at my children, I'm hindering my ministry to those at church. 

Think of a lantern and the glass that covers it.  Our goal is to let our light shine.  When there's a lot of smoke the glass is covered in soot.  Light doesn't pour forth well from such a lantern.  It's our job to faithfully clean the soot from our lives so we can minister to those around us - other believers, unbelievers, co-workers, people from church, etc.

Once our lantern is shining brightly, we need to train ourselves to look with a "bountiful eye" as she calls it.  Look for those who need our caring hug or listening ear.  Be on the look out. 

Lately, I've been wondering if people will come over and talk to me at church.  This is so backwards.  If we are on the lookout for people who need us, we will have someone to talk to. :)  The problem is: my selfish heart wants to talk about me.  "The heart is decietful above all."  Such a true statement.

Another thing, don't withhold anything.  Usually we don't think of this with our words, but don't withhold good words and helpful words.  Sometimes (okay most times) I worry if I tell my child they are doing well at something.  What if they stop doing it?  They usually do at some point.  But that's not what it's about. 

It's about letting them and others know that God is doing a good work in their lives.  Sometimes in all our growing and struggling, we don't see where we were and how  far we've come.  Our kids and new believers more than anyone need to know that we can see God working on them. 

A text or phone call, an e-mail or old-fashioned snail mail - all of these are good for encouraging one another.  If you're thinking of someone, let them know. 

What can you do today to  be a blessing to someone you know?  What are some ways you've found that work well for you?

Making the most of today,
Steph

No comments:

Post a Comment