Pages

Thursday, November 22, 2012

Meals Planned Ahead

We have my in-laws coming for Thanksgiving and I'm very excited.  But we'll be siding the house the week while they are here.  So I thought I should get the meals made ahead as much as possible.  I'm hoping to use the crockpot a lot.

My recipes are:
  • Pork Adobo - a Filipino dish served with rice
  • Enchiladas
  • Chicken Parmesan also served with rice, and
  • Tangy Tender Chicken
Then there is also Thanksgiving, but I'm planning on being inside a lot that day. 

First, I need to decide what I can do ahead.

  • Pork Adobo - the meat is marinated, so I can put the meat in a bag with the sauce, in the freezer
  • Enchiladas - I can make this whole meal ahead and if I freeze it in tin foil, I can still use my pans once it's frozen
  • Chicken Parmesan - the chicken parmesan part can be made ahead
  • Tangy Tender Chicken - the chicken can be saved ahead, but I think that's it, but I can cut up the veggies ahead.

What do I need for these meals:
  • Pork Adobo - soysauce, vinegar, sugar, onion and pork
  • Enchiladas - chicken broth, tomato sauce, shredded chicken or turkey, onions, cheese, sour cream, tortillas
  • Chicken Parmesan - chicken (it's planned for the day after Thanksgiving, so I'll probably use left-over turkey), Parmesan, spaghetti sauce, mozerella,
  • Tangy Tender Chicken - carrots, gr. pepper, onion, chicken, pineapple chunks, brown sugar, soy sauce, and spices


Chop up the meat - label the bag well.  Write on the bag the steps that will need to be taken on the day of the meal.

Go through the freezer before making purchases for this meal and write a list of what is in your freezer(s).
I put mine back organized in these plastic bins

Even organized the door


Here's my list from both freezers, some things are in the kitchen and some are in the basement
After writing them on the white board, I transferred them to paper on the side of my fridge.  As I remove an item, I'll cross it off.  Next month, I'll be looking at my list to see what I have before choosing my meals.

Next step is to shop, and then finish putting things in bags and freezing them.



No comments:

Post a Comment