Pages

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Thursday's Thoughts - "Let my words be few"

This song was playing late the other night when I came home from work and then the next morning I jumped in the car to drive Sharpie to work and it was playing again.  Deserves some pondering, I think. 

Words can build you up
Words can break you down
Start a fire in your heart or
Put it out
Let my words be life
Let my words be truth
I don't wanna say a word
Unless it points the world back to You

I wonder just how well am I doing with my words. Am I pointing the world to God or just to me, and all the brilliance I have to give, which is nothing?  The wisdom of the world is foolishness. 

I'm a talker.  Not at home, but especially when I get let out of my cage.  Then you won't hear me let up at all.  Can you just see it?  There I am running around, "I'm free.  I'm with adults.  Let's talk about something, anything!"  And they're standing there saying, "Where did she come from?" 

I don't want to be talking just for the sake of it.  But pointing the world to God has been hard for me.  I just don't feel comfortable talking about it at work.  It's been a shameful thing to me.  How can you be a missionary if you don't even tell your community about the Lord?  But that's me.  I know what to do overseas, but in my little farming community, I'm tight-lipped about the gospel.

If I took these words to heart, there would be so many things that I wouldn't talk about - those sleepless nights at the beginning of the week when I was getting home later than normal - who cares?  It's not that big of a deal.  Except to see God working in that He gave me a break with day care those next two days. 

Complaints would be off the list of acceptable topics.  Because that surely does not point the world  back to God.  Frustrations would be off the list, grudges unacceptable as well. So let my words be few. 

Let me be a listener.  I can easily say that I definitely am not one of those people.  I'm so blessed to have two of them in my life - one older and one younger.  And while they may have that as a natural character trait, I think part of it is that they've trained themselves to listen. 

So for the next days, I want to keep my mouth quieter, so that I can hear what is going on in someone else's heart.   And while it's quieter and listening, I want to be praying that my words would be few and words that point others to God.

"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in Your sight, O Lord my Rock and my Redeemer." Psalm 19:14

Making the most of today
Steph

1 comment:

  1. This is good, Steph. I was convicted as I am also a talker and not so very good at listening. I'm enjoying getting to know you again on here :)

    ReplyDelete