Pages

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Cooking Tuesday - Bean and ham soup.


First I soaked the beans overnight.  I had to keep adding water, because they kept soaking it up. I found out this time that if you put 1/4 tsp of baking soda per pound in with the beans while they soak it helps eliminate the problem that some people have with beans. :)  Drain.

Then add water and ginger to the beans, bring to a boil, and then drain.  I would recommend doing this step on the stove.  I did the whole process in the roaster and I think by the second day they were getting soft.  I even had them on low overnight. 
Add fresh water to the beans.  Put in a ham bone.  Boil 1 hour.  Remove bone and take off the meat. 

Add onion, carrot celery, black pepper and salt.  Cook until the vegetables are done.   Keep adding water if necessary.

 I cooked four pounds of beans.  And then froze two bags of soup for a later day.   Today is supposed to be nice, so I don't think it will be that day. 

Making the most of today,
Steph

We're through Numbers 12 and Psalm 18.  Memorizing Romans 1:17-18 went well and now I've moved on to verses 19 and 20.  Some of these I know from childhood, so I'll be slowing down here soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment