Homemade Pork and Beans Ingredients
2 pounds of dried Great White Northern beans1 onion
1 Tablespoon of minced garlic
1 large can of tomato sauce
1 pound of pork
1 cup ketchup
1 Tablespoon of mustard
1 Tablespoon of syrup1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
4 tablespoons of dark brown sugar
Directions for Making Homemade Pork and Beans
1. Start preparing your dried white beans a day ahead of cook day by soaking them in water for at least 24 hours.
2. Shred 3/4ths of your pork and cut the remaining 1/4th pound into small cubes.
3. Chop your clove of garlic and onion finely.
4. Place your prepared beans, pork loin, vegetables, tomato sauce, ketchup, mustard, syrup, cayenne pepper, dark brown sugar and vegetables in a pot, then cover with water.
5. Cook your homemade pork and beans for at least two hours on medium low to allow the flavors to meld with one another thoroughly. Keep it bubbling. Add water as necessary, being careful not to add too much. Test your beans to see if they're done before you turn off the pot.
6. Allow to cool, and put 2 cups in each bag.
Price for these Beans
$3.98 for Great Northern Beans
$2.00 for one pound of pork
$1.02 for spices
This recipe made 7 bags with 2 cups in each bag