Pages

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Chicken White Sauce

I decided that I would rather make my own cream of chicken soup, as opposed to putting all that sodium and preservatives into my kids and me.  So I've been working to see what the best way is to do it.

Here's what I have come up with:

1/2 cup of margarine or butter (either of them seems to work equally well)

Melt margarine in saucepan ( a big one if you need a big batch)

When it's melted add enough flour to make it thick and somewhat lumpy.  I use a nylon whisk.  It will take about 1/2 cup of flour.  Add 2 T chicken granules and 1 t salt and 1/2 t pepper.  Mix together.  You can't leave the stove or it will burn. 

Next add alternately by one cup (3 cups of water and 3 cups of milk).  Then stirring very often or continuously stir until it thickens up.  If it's too thick add another cup of milk or water.  If it's too thin, take a cup of water and mix in some flour (about 2 T) and then pour it into the pan. 

After it cools you can take 1 1/4 cups and put it in freezer bags.  That would be the equivalent of one can.  I like a bit more sauce than most recipes call for, so I would put in two cups per can of sauce.

Now if you want cream of mushroom, just add beef granules instead of chicken and some sliced mushrooms. :)  Also if you are cooking up chicken or hamburger just take 1/2 cup of broth and skip the granules and the butter. :)

It works so well, and it's yummy. 

Keep pressing on.
Steph

No comments:

Post a Comment