Pages

Thursday, October 17, 2013

Egg noodles

What I'm looking for is noodles that might freeze well.  I would like to put the effort in and make a bunch of noodles, and then freeze them for when we need them. 

What I found on the internet is that if you make noodles, making a large batch is more desirable, and they will last in the fridge for 2 days, and in the freezer for up to 3 months.  Yahoo!!!!!

So yesterday, I tried two batches of a recipe I found on the internet.  I asked my mother-in-law for her recipe and she, as always, willingly gave it.  It was very similar to the one I used.

  • Combine 1 beaten egg, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 2 tablespoons milk; add 1 cup sifted flour or enough to make stiff dough.
  • Roll very thin on floured surface; let stand 20 minutes.
  • Roll up loosely; slice 1/4 inch wide; unroll spread out and let dry 2 hours.
  • Drop into boiling soup or boiling salted water and cook uncovered about 10 minutes.
  • Makes 3 cups cooked noodles.   

I made one batch of egg noodle-size and the other the size of lasagna noodles.  After I let them dry, I placed them in some light storage bags I have (I would have used waxed paper, but I didn't have any) and then rolled up the lasagna noodles to keep the bag between the pieces and placed it in a labeled freezer bag.

I'll try to update with pictures, as soon as I can find the camera.  It doesn't seem to be where it is supposed to be. 

I'll have to remember to update it when we eat them. :)

Enjoy!
Steph

No comments:

Post a Comment