Pages

Thursday, November 14, 2013

Walking in the newness of the Spirit - how do we teach our kids?

I've been working on memorizing Romans.  Memorizing chapters 6 and 7 at the same time that we struggled with one of our children made me realize that we are forgetting something in our teaching. 

I wondered if they even realize that they have the Spirit of God in them.  Have we just assumed that they already knew that? 

How can they do the things that we ask of them in their own strength?  And if they don't realize that they don't have to do it on their own, how would they react?  As I memorize Romans 6, I realize that it would be extremely frustrating to me to try to do the "Law". 

It becomes legalism when we're doing these things in the flesh, but a heart yielded to the Spirit is amazingly different - it's the abundant life. 

Have I put my child in the chains of legalism?  And as I look at the one who is struggling, my heart breaks because I am pretty sure that I have.

This morning I asked my oldest if he realizes that he has the Spirit of God in him to help him not follow the crowd.  He shook his head no.  Ugh.  If he doesn't get it, I don't know if anyone else would have gotten it. 

It's not that we haven't talked about it, it's just that we haven't emphasized it.  And I am seeing that more than anything they have to know that, after they understand that Christ is their savior.

So I'll be hugging on my struggling one more than ever and sharing with him the joy of walking in the newness of the letter.

So, go, find your kids and make sure that they know the way to have abundant life.
Steph

No comments:

Post a Comment