Pages

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

The tongue

Last Sunday, our pastor talked about the tongue - the negative aspect in the morning and the positive aspect in the evening.  I was reminded about how when I was in high school and college, I used to make a lot of mistakes in what I said to people.  I do talk a lot and as Proverbs says, "in the multitude of words there wanteth not sin."  You might want to look that up in a newer version, but I grew up with the KJV and that's how I remember it.  I was thinking of how I have, seemingly, been doing better.  YEAH!!!  It's no fun messing up with your words and feels awful when you find you've hurt someone.

So there I was listening to my pastor's sermon and thinking, "Yep, got this one under control."  During the evening service, the realization hit me that I do NOT have this under control, as I am putting out fires all the time at home because I bring discouragement to my children often when I am frustrated with them.  When seven of them are all needing my attention, I can get pretty exasperated with them and my speech isn't always "seasoned with salt".

I've noticed that with one especially, the discouragement is clearly visible on his face and I am reminded that while it IS my job to teach them, my words must still be seasoned with salt.    I need to be careful that my frustration doesn't come through in my words.  Isn't there a way I can speak to them that will show my care and love for them as well as help them grow. 

Ephesians 4:25-32 were the positive outlook on the tongue.  "Let no unwholesome talk proceed from your mouth, but only that which" edifies.  Sometimes when I'm speaking to them it sounds degrading.  "Haven't I taught you how to clean the sink?  Why would you leave it like this?  This certainly does not look like what I've taught you to do."  Depending on my tone, I can sound reproving, which is acceptable, or degrading.

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight, O Lord, my strength and my Redeemer.

So may our words be seasoned with salt and edify those who hear it.
Steph

No comments:

Post a Comment