Pages

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Making the Lord a priority in my life

Now that we've gotten our lists done and analyzed where our priorities truly lie, we should pray about where we want our priorities to be and how we can change to make that happen.

First, let's start with God.  I believe with my whole heart that He should be #1 in our lives.  But what does that mean?  If we are viewing our time spent with Him as the only way we show He is a priority, do we have to be monks to make Him a priority?  I don't think so, because I don't think that the amount of time I spend with a person is the only factor that shows where they stand on my priority list.  For example: if time was the only thing that showed where my husband is on my priority list, he'd be down lower than the children on the list.  But I do things for him throughout the day to show him I love him.  So therefore, I make him a priority even when we aren't together.  Being faithful in the house to do the jobs I have to do are showing him that I love him.

So back to God.  Do you know Him?  Do you know that He created the world.  Do you know that He created us to be with Him?  Do you know that He is a God who participates in our lives, that He loves us more than we could ever imagine?  Do you know that it wasn't His plan that there would be evil in the world?  He created the world perfect.

But we, the human race, distanced ourselves from God when we chose to walk our own way, when we said to ourselves, we know better than God.  Sin separated us from God.  And nothing we can do will remove that sin debt from us.

But God sent His Son, Jesus to pay that debt for us, and so we are free because He died for us.  He was totally God and totally man.  Because He was totally God he was perfect and because He was totally man He was able to die for us.  He went willingly to the cross for us because remember why He created us... He created us to have a relationship with Him.  So He, in going to the cross, gave us another chance.

When we believe that Jesus alone paid the price for our sins and there is nothing we can do on our own or even to help Him, then we have eternal life.  That eternal life starts now and is eternal (it lasts forever). 

There is a video that describes this completely, and to give credit where credit is due, I'm putting their link in here.  I'm not one for a lot of rapping, but this one I understand and he uses powerful sentences and words to share this story.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K48-Li7lIfA

So now, if you've already trusted Christ as your Savior, what do you do to make Him a priority?  Well, to be honest, it's not hard and yet it's very hard.  It's simple relying on Him to help you through the day.  It's cleaning the toilet, or wiping a snotty nose for Him and for His glory.  As they told us at Dare2Share, "Ad majorem dei gloriam inque hominum salutem" - which means "for the greater glory of God and the salvation of humanity".  I don't know what all was on the Jesuits' minds when they said these words, but I feel that it reminds me to do whatever I do to the glory of God. 

Am I working on the computer to the glory of God?  Are the things I'm partaking in there to the glory of God?  Are the shows I'm watching on TV for His glory as well?  When I'm thinking about Him and serving Him throughout the day, then I am prioritizing Him.  How can I do that more fully?  We'll keep this on the discussion table, but if you have any ideas about this, let me know.  I think discussion is good for helping us to encourage one another to love and good works.

Steph

No comments:

Post a Comment