Pages

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Priority #2 - my husband

Since we've been talking about priorities, I thought we could move on to the second one.  It seems they are all connected to the first one - God, or should be.  When we are making God the first priority in our life, we start realizing that others come first.  And one in particular should stand above the rest if we are married.  That is, our spouse. 

God has given them to us and we need to respect them and honor them in every way possible.  This has been something that has come up over and over in our marriage.  When I disrespect my husband, I am not allowing him to be the man of God he needs to be.  I really need to be before the Lord in how I speak with my husband.  I Peter 3: 1-2 says, "In the same way, you wives, be submissive to your own husbands so that even if any of them are disobedient to the word, they may be won without a word by the behavior of their wives, as they observe your chaste and respectful behavior."  I think this means that sometimes we are right, but not always. 

I have married a man of God and he is very smart. I can trust him to make good decisions for our family.  He hasn't always been right, but I know that he is much less impulsive than I and had we done it my way, there probably would have been more mistakes.  I honestly think that most of our men would do well making decisions if they were backed by a wife who whole-heartedly supported them in everything.  When I am talking about this, I am not talking of sin issues. 

When someone is looking over my shoulder waiting to point out everything I am doing wrong, I make a lot of errors - errors I would normally not have made.  So I think with our men.  If they know that we are praying for them and quietly supporting them, think how much stronger they could be.

Now, I know that sometimes it's fun to be the leader and get to say what goes.  At this point in my life though, I lead a lot.  Throughout the course of the day, I'm telling the children what to do, what tests to take, and where they need to be and when.  So I get plenty of that.  And it's under the supervision of my hubby, he has asked that, for now, I teach the children at home.  I'm pretty thankful when I can just let my husband decide something, i.e. if my oldest should go to public school next year.

I don't want you to think this is easy for me.  I am terrified to let him go to public school, but my husband and I have talked about it.  He knows my fears and he has his own.   He is taking my opinion about the matter into consideration. I have told him, "I need to know by such-and-such a time your decision about Sharpie.  I leave this completely in your hands and you just let me know what you decide, so that I can plan accordingly."  Despite the fact that I want Sharpie home next year, I know that this could be a good thing, so I am still 100% (with fear and trembling) behind my husband whatever he decides.

I have been blessed to have a man who loves me and cares about what I think.  We do not all have the same situations, but God's Word is unchanging and He can help us to be obedient to the Word no matter what the situation.

Trusting you to His care,
Steph

No comments:

Post a Comment