Pages

Monday, March 26, 2012

The fence

Last night we were answering some questions about Hebrews.  Some of the things were thought provoking to me.

The Hebrews, as a whole, were on the fence.  Looking for a life of ease, the temptation was to subject themselves to the Law of Moses, in order to escape persecution.  But really when you think about it, this doesn't seem to be a life of ease.  As I see it, the Law is much harder than grace.  Maybe that's why we like it so much.  It satisfies our need to do something in order to earn what has been freely given.

Do I want to stay on the fence?  Really for me, it's not about being under the Law of Moses.  That would be trying to adopt a whole new lifestyle.  My desire is to just stay where I am and just keep doing what I'm doing.  No more growth - that's too painful.  No more getting to know people - that's too uncomfortable.  I'm fine right where I am.  I want to be able to whine and pout about things that I don't like.  I want to take control and do things my way.

Is that what I want?  Because God is saying to me through His Word that on a daily basis I need to be more conformed to the image of His Son.  That means I'm always going to be learning, uncomfortable with where I am at, seeing the need for more growth.  Eeew, yuck!  But what comes with that?  Peace that passes all understanding, seeing progress in my life, not yelling at my kids as much or at all.  Oh, well, now that - that is desirable to me.

So while it may be difficult, I choose God's way.  I want to choose it all the time.  So what does the author to the Hebrews tell us the first step is?  (Heb. 6:1) Leave the elementary principles.  Hello!!!!  Move past Kindergarten, folks!  Those are the building blocks, the foundation.  Start working on the structure!  So I need to dig deeper and longer in the Word of God. I need to seek ways to understand these truths more. 

Yes, I have distractions.  I need to teach my distractions that there are times that Mommy needs to focus on God's Word.  I need to look for opportunities to study His Word. 

Let's pursue knowing Christ better each day.
Steph

No comments:

Post a Comment