Follow by Email

Monday, March 19, 2012

My story - Part 5

God took my best friend home to be with Him, and three months later I met the man I would later marry.  He gave me a different best friend.  At that time in my life, I still had questions about why God would take my mom home.  But He was continuing to work out His plan for me. 

I remained at the missions institute I was at in Wisconsin.  That summer the missionary couple that I had been writing for 4 or 5 years wrote and said that two of their children would be at a conference that was taking place in May.  Our school was hosting the conference or serving at it or something. 

I was glad to know that finally after so many years I would finally get to meet someone from this family.  Little did I know that I was about to meet my future husband.  My husband and his sister showed up and we talked some.  My roommate was also from Indonesia. 

Through some circumstances and misunderstandings we ended up with an hour or so to talk.  He seemed to want to go into missions but had some things that were blocking him from doing so. He was going on a missions trip. 

We wrote that summer and God took away the problems keeping him from missions.  He ended up moving to Wisconsin to the school I had just graduated from.  I, in turn, moved to Missouri for the last step of training - the language institute, where I learned how to study unwritten languages.

In November, I came to Nebraska and met his parents.  We had some great talks around the kitchen table in the early morning hours, around a table that sat right about where I am sitting now, in the house that we currently live in.

In January, we were engaged.  So I moved back to work as a secretary in Wisconsin so we would have time to get to know each other.  We married in June and then moved to the language institute to finish our training together.

Our first son, who I call Sharpie in this blog, was born there.  One month later we moved to Nebraska.  We lived in our house there and fixed it up.  During our time there our second son, Jones was born.  We were able to spend a lot of time at the church that my husband called his "home" church.  I grew to feel that it was my family as well.

When Jones was about 6 months old, we moved to Wisconsin near where my parents and in-laws lived and studied Indonesian with some veteran missionaries and also some missionaries who were Indonesian.  We were there for a few months when our visas came through and we prepared to head to Indonesia.  We were so excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment